Having a pet is a big responsibility, and if you work full time or need to go away on vacation without your pet, it can be a big worry as to what will happen to them. Do you have a friend or neighbor who can keep an eye on your pet while you’re at work, or do you cancel your vacation because you don’t have anyone willing to help take care of them in your absence?
One simple way of reducing the stress involved with ensuring that your pet is taken good care of when you can’t be with them, is to use the services of a professional pet sitting and walking company. They make taking care of your pet, their business, quite literally, and so there are often no better people then them, to leave your beloved pooch with.
What services are usually offered?
Aside from the usual standard care packages, such as someone visiting your pet once or twice a day to feed or walk them, many companies offer grooming or bathing packages too. When you first contact a pet care company, they will usually arrange a consultation with you, and at this point you can enquire about the services that are on offer, along with prices and packages.
What can you expect from the consultation?
Consultations usually happen in the convenience of your home, and you will have the opportunity to explain about your pets’ needs, voice any concerns that you might have, and instruct the individual on where to locate leashes, bowls etc. The person who will be taking care of your pet in your absence will be able to meet your pet, and hopefully establish a friendship or at the very least, an understanding!
There are a few pieces of information that you should have ready with you when your consultation occurs:
- Information about your pets’ feeding schedule
- Notes about any medication that your pet might need to be given along with contact details for the veterinarian who usually deals with your dog
- At least one person in the area who can be contacted in the case of an emergency
- Two sets of keys are normally required so that the dog walker or pet sitter has one, and the office will keep a spare set in the unlikely event that the other set goes missing.
- If your property has a security alarm, the individual will need details of this
- It’s also a good idea to let your friends, family and neighbours know that someone will be visiting your property to care for your pet, for obvious reasons!
What policies and procedures are normally in place?
Naturally terms, conditions, policies and procedures vary from company to company, but you can usually expect that there will be a cancellation fee, depending on the circumstances surrounding the cancellation and the number of days given as notice. Some companies may also have a reservation fee, depending upon the type of booking made. As is standard policy with all pet care services, they will have the right to refuse their service to individuals should the circumstances or information provided, not be safe or adequate. Policies regarding certain breeds of dogs, such as those classed as aggressive, may differ from company to company.
While it’s hoped that you will have a good relationship with whichever pet sitting company you choose, it is important to remember that you will be entering in to a contract with them, and that you should always respect their rules and policies. They, in turn, should fulfill the service that they have offered you, and take good care of your beloved pet.